I know there are several out there with kids who have "Talents and Passions" at a very young age. ( Those quotation marks are for my bud, Cher Mere...LOL)
Here's the dilemma:
Grace has been exhibiting some pretty interesting abilities in the areas of both acting and art lately, and we're kind of stuck on how to proceed. The teeny tiny snafu is that she hasn't really asked to pursue either of these in depth on her own. We've "suggested" that she attend some fun classes for acting and musical theater.I was told at a recent homeschool activity by pretty much everyone there that Grace has an awesome "natural ability" for acting and that we really should "get her into theater". I even took her to a trial class the other day, and she, quite literally, stopped the show. The people who run the classes volunteered to give her a scholarship to attend, if we couldn't afford it. We'll be attending. She enjoyed herself immensely.
She also has been really expressing herself through her drawing again, and this time she wowed us with a drawing in pastels. Anyone familiar with art knows that oil pastels are notoriously hard to work with.. Somehow, she managed to come up with a face like the cover of one of her books:
She's also been drawing cartoons again, but really neat ones. I am thinking she need to take a cartooning class at a local art studio, but I'm afraid it will change what she's doing.
Advice, please?
Forte

8 comments:
This is a hard one. A couple of years ago I would have given you completely different advice from that I am contemplating now! I hope I have matured over that time!
I would say, if she enjoys theatre, let her go do it for fun. If she enjoys cartooning, let her keep drawing. (Yes, doing a course WILL change what she's doing, and will change much of her creative flow.)
Be thankful she has the innate ability to do well the things she enjoys. But what I have come to believe over the years - and this is just me personally - is that when you have a child who excels at everything they do, simply because they're wired that way, it's time to step back even more than you might do with another type of child.
I watched my dd become more about what she could do, especially in a couple of particular fields, than how much she enjoyed what she was doing. I realised my own feelings were entangled in it too. Yeah, I was big-headed on her behalf! Now I step right back and I let her passions show the way. She may be brilliant at XYZ but that doesn't mean she's passionate about it. And she may be hopeless at the things she does have passion for. It doesn't matter to me. If the passion and the prodigiousness happen to coincide, how lucky for her.
So there's one perspective for your consideration. Sorry its long, sorry its rushed.
I have only met Grace once but I see her as a ham (in a good way, I have one too) that would probably love being on stage. So I would go for that.
The art... wow, I am really amazed. I might visit some classes, like with a free trial, and see if you think the way they teach would be helpful or a hinderance for Grace. I think those things can be very techy.
I know that I have felt this way about dance, which Z does very well naturally. Her first foray into ballet turned her off it for a while. Ballet was just to rigid and the pace was too slow with too much repetition.
I am only now thinking about looking into dance school again because she might be old enough to take lyrical or modern.
Would she be interested in writing a cartoon for your blog? I think they look very interesting and funny and cool.
I understand when you see something special, on one hand you want to protect it and on another you want to support it's growth. It is a fine line.
I wish I could be more help. if you want we can talk more about it.
Thanks to both of you! I don't usually post about what Grace is good at, because I feel kind of uncomfortable doing so. I think, in the case of the DRama, that she really could sink her teeth into it, so DH and I are going to do whatever is necessary to make sure she's supported in that area. People have told us all along that she's "dramatically inclined" , but we didn't take it seriously. We do a bit more now, as she actually is energized by it. :)
The art is a different story. I know she has a bit of "talent" there, but is it something that needs to be focused on any more than what we are doing? I like what you both had to say about it, and I have just made a "special request" for Grace to draw Mom a comic strip. She was ecstatic! :)
Forte
PS. Yes, Cher, I'd love to talk more about it:)
This is regarding your being uncomfortable talking about Grace's giftedness.
I am too. I don't talk about it in real life but I have taken on the responsibility to be open about it online, so that others may be open about it too.
I know it is not a popular voice. Check out the first first comment to this post about giftedness on another blog - http://thethinkingmother.blogspot.com/2006/10/preschool-curriculum-for-gifted.html
It is my own decision to "come out of the closet" about Z but I do get nervous stomach aches about it sometimes. *wry grin*
You know, my New Year's resolution was not to care so much about what people think when I know "what's what." I chose that because it is actually hard for me to not worry about what other people think.
p.s. I am not directing this at you. I feel like you've got my back. I'll support you whether you want to talk about giftedness or not.
The drama group sounds like fun!
I hope you find a way for her to enjoy her talents to the fullest.
(hugs)
I would love to see cartoons from her on your weblog!
Very cute!
I have always thought Grace should take theater. Remember Williamsburg? I also feel theater has a multiple of other benefits: making sets, literature, being with people who enjoy the arts to name a few.
In art I've won a little money and ribbons as a teen. I feel I would have enjoyed more exposure and experimentation with different mediums rather than instruction.
I think that Grace is wonderful at acting. Her little imagination goes wild and she takes on every character role there is. Everything from the king, to the dragon slayer to the princess. Plus she has a way of getting everyone else excited about acting too. I would see what she could do locally for fun.
The cartoons I think will just naturally progress. I personally wouldn't do anything extra on that end except the cartoon strip for your blog. That would give her some experience and direction.
Post a Comment