Monday, March 10, 2008

Goings On Around the Secret House...


Grace's Piano recital went well, and she LOVED her dress:)

Grace seems to be going through a "Dali" phase, at present.

We had a power outage due to the storms that came through, and it was actually lovely!

Our school days have been mostly spent either solidifying skill sets or plunging into more interesting territory. In our meanderings through Greece, Grace has taken a liking to the ancient Greek "machines" that were invented and she found an interesting series on the BBC about that. She's also getting pretty good at spotting the major types of Greek Columns used in architecture!
On another note, she's been doing quite a bit more estuary exploration, here at the Secret House. Yesterday she did some more water testing , this time at high tide, and the results disturbed her. She thinks it means that there are either too few water plants for the amount of ammonia the fish are putting out, or the plants are not working properly anymore, possibly due to pollution. Either way, I agree with her that it may not be pretty!
Her geometry studies are coming along well, and she's very happy about her new compass! She loves the neato games and puzzles in her book, and it really motivates her to learn new skills!
Her new favorite artist is Dali....could you guess?
She absolutely loves her Drama class, and has been going around the house making little "commercials" for thinks we have in our home. ( "I KNOW my mom REALLY must love me, because she gives me 100% ORGANIC veggie chips"...CRRRUNCH! accompanied by *really* cute grin)
She's been journaling on her computer,and that seems to be going well too:)
We took a history field trip to an Historic House nearby this past week, and she really enjoyed it...except for the children. She actually was highly annoyed about the revolutionary war lecture, because most of the other children were too young/inattentive for it and she couldn't hear half the time. Carl said we will go back on our own and she can ask the guy questions to complete the lecture.
I have ordered the (cough) CAT test to satisfy the district that she's made "one year's" progress in homeschool.;)
Exciting. She actually looks forward to the testing, and I cannot for the life of me figure out why, other than she gets to "Play" school;)
How's YOUR week going?
Forte

7 comments:

Cher Mere said...

She looks so pretty.

Her Dali painting is inspired!

LOL, Z used to do commercials all the time too.

Gymnaste said...

She looks beautiful in her dress. Purple is my favorite color. I can just hear her doing those commercials too. It reminds me of the little boy from the old Welch's grape juice commercials. She would have done wonderful on them.

sarah said...

She looks so lovely. Your homeschool days sound great.

Garden State Kate said...

Gorgeous and so grown up in her recital dress!
P does a lot of "commercials" too..you can purchase all her products at www.blah blah blah.com
LOL!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

She looks so pretty and what a gorgeous dress. Congratulations to her.

I love the water studies, and the commercials sound darling. Her painting is cool. I love the easel.

Forte said...

Thanks everyone!
Grace actually was the one to BEG me for the dress. I thought it wouldn't look good! She asked if she could "just try it on" so I could see it on her....Magic.

I have no idea what the abstract stuff is lately, but I like it;)

Mariposa,
We got the easel at Michaels for less than 10 dollars;) The bonus was that she got to assemble it herself, and it was fun!
Forte

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Cool. We will have to get one and let her assemble it on camp day.