Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Giver

Grace, Carl and I have been really reevaluating how we think about this season this year. We are trying many new things, creating new traditions and keeping old ones!  We decided to make many of our gifts this year as well , so hang on to your scarf!  Most of all though, we've been giving to the community here. It feels good to be helping people and I really wish we cold have done this when Grace was smaller.  We volunteered ( and will continue to do so) at a local food pantry, sang carols at a nursing home and participated in several toy and clothing drives.   The best , by far, was the food pantry. I had contacted the head of the pantry to see about the homeschool community participating with the pantry on a semi-regular basis. I was  given very strict age guidelines of 12 and up to help with Bagging of food etc.  In order to see the pantry however, I had to bring Grace along for the tour and trial day. She did wonderfully, and the man even guessed her to be fully 3 years older than she currently is!  It was great to fill the bags and get them out to people who need them. At first, it was a bit confusing, as the pantry was "split" down the middle, with one worker on each side, and there are "directions" next to each "section" telling you how much of what to put in the cart, based on family size.  We soon got into the spirit of the thing, with Grace in one section and I in the other! She just needed help reaching some of the cans. :D
At the end of the 2.5 hours, she asked if we could go back again TOMORROW.  I must say that this was a strong success and I will be talking o the man about having other children and parents help out. Now that Grace has done such a good job "opening the door". I think they will be more likely to trust that the younger kids can help out VERY well. 
The nursing home sing-a- long was every bit as much of a success! I really must thank the mom who organized it. It was a great experience for the children to have and the adults at the nursing home obviously enjoyed so many young, smiling faces!  Grace really couldn't have been happier! 

Grace went to  her first movie alone, without us yesterday. She went with her girl scout troop and had a wonderful time. They went to see "The Tale of Despereaux" as an end to their book club on the same. (Grace had read it prior and was eager to participate...)  Her review is that the movie is "All action, to please the audience, and very little of the book's magic". Hmmm

In any case, as she was busy at her movie, Carl and I had some interesting discussions and did some shopping in town, which was nearly empty the weekend before Christmas, but that is another story... 
As we finished up our shopping with a trip to the local chocolatier, the snow falling gently around us, we both agreed that Grace is indeed a very special and kind young lady. She really does want good for this world and tries to live this way in her daily life. Sure, she has fun in her everyday existence, kids around with friends and gets annoying once in a while, but at the heart of this still-very-young child is a young lady beyond her years who is extremely "good" and has a heart of gold--That is the best gift WE could hope for. 
Happy Holidays everyone!  May you days be merry and bright, and if you are lucky, your Christmas or Hanukkah could also be white! Check the weather for the Northeast today!  :)  

Ze List: 
I had Grace draw up a list of a few small items she might wish for for the holiday. She listed some plush friends from Hansa, Yomiko and others and her obligatory Marzipan. I then asked her if there is anything that she would REALLY like from us, as in , anything she's been "dreaming of", in teh small-child, holiday way. Her answer? Hold onto your drink...





A HOVERBOARD. ;) 

We told her that she'll have to build her own, as they don't exist for market prices yet.
  

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Who wouldn't want a hoverboard?

I'm inspired by your homeschool group's community service. We already volunteer with Girl Scouts and Cub Scouts, but we're just getting started with gathering a local group of homeschoolers.

Thanks for the idea!

Garden State Kate said...

LOL, You weren't really surprised..were you? I think a hoverboard would be perfect..can't wait to see what Grace's design will look like. I have a feeling she's already sketching it. ;-)

Cher Mere said...

t is a lovely post, especially sharing your feelings about Grace. I feel the exact same way about Z. :) *big smile*

I am so inspired hearing about your volunteering. I am going to check out our food pantry when we get home.

Austintacious said...

I am writing this thru my tears...
Grace is the person she is because of the people you and Carl are. You have shown her the person you hope she will be and she is that person.
Paying it forward is always a rewarding life. For the two of you to show her that, is a wonderful gift that she will carry the rest of her life. And THAT is the best present you have given US!
Merry Christmas, kids!

Shaun said...

Ha! Great answer!

Cool that you have found a good way to volunteer with Grace. It can be hard finding places willing to allow kids.

We are hoping to see Despereaux next week -- we just listened to the audio book on our long car trip. (V had read it, but not the rest of us) The audio book was great!

patrice said...

Warmed by this post and hoping you all are cozy for Christmas!
P-