So Grace, Carl and I have been thinking lately about how we can give back. Grace was VERY into Oliver Twist and the poor laws for a while back, and she really detests that hunger is allowed to flourish so long after that sad chapter in history! We know it isn't a huge contribution, but we'd like to begin volunteering at a local food pantry an soliciting donations. In fact, I expanded the volunteer effort to include our whole homeschool community! I will coordinate a crew of kids and adults who wish to participate in the efforts of food distribution at the pantry, restocking of food and collection of donations. Hopefully, we'll have enough folks to do the volunteer efforts once a week on a specific day. Grace and I are also making our Christmas presents this year, but I won't tell you what they are, as you may get one;) What does YOUR family want to do this winter to give back? Do you have a tradition? Share!! :)
Forte

5 comments:
That is really cool, and nice too.
We just donated a bunch of winter coats to a local group, and we donated books and small stuffed animals to a local teacher who matches athletes with pre-school and kindergarten kids to read together.
The kids don't have books in their homes often, so she gives the stuffies and books to the athletes to "gift" to the kids. P enjoys choosing books for the kids.
How wonderful! Your gift will be giving back to the community...You really get a wonderful feeling when you volunteer. (take it from a 'lifer'!)
Kate in NJ, I love your ideas.
We thought about spending time with those who have no one, who might be in ill health and those who just like company.
We are going through Faith's toys and clothes to give to the salvation army. Then each new gift that we get at Target from the $1 shelf will go to Toys for Tots. Faith loves to give to the red kettle so I will try to keep more spare change in my purse. As I have also already started a food drive for the local SERVE chapter locally to be collected among the preschool and Village. It will be distributed the week prior to Christmas. I love helping Faith learn about others and giving. Tis the season to give.
Each year Ami selects a name from the Christmas tree at church. The charity is for single mothers and their children. She picked a 3- year old that shared her name. The little girl wanted an outside toy and Ami selected a tricycle.
My husband and I have several favorites; the good thing is that there is a charity for everyone’s taste.
That is awesome! I have been thinking about that. And I don't know yet.
Post a Comment