Sunday, June 3, 2007

Friendship Update

Have you ever been on a roller coaster and the rails look like they are going up and suddenly the whole world drops out from under you? That's the update in a nutshell.
Grace's friend intercepted us as we drove up yesterday--all sweetness and cherry pie, and invited Grace to play. She looked so innocent that DH and I agreed. Why do we never learn? :(
Grace played for a while, and then we heard the door open and she came in really upset. Apparently when the girl's father told her to take Grace home, this little girl sarcastically said "Come on PRINCESS. Time to go home" and grabbed her by the arm(hard) and dragged her from their house and around the hedge to ours and dumped her in the door. Not good. She then returned two minutes later to shout "sorry" in a *not* sorry way into our screen door. Then she returned 3 minutes later and was trying to listen to us talk. At this point, I had both girls go out on the steps and we had a talk. Long story short, the girl ended up blaming Grace for the entire thing and bold-faced lied to me about what had been happening on the previous play dates (recall here that I had listened in through the hedge...) When I called her on it, she just smiled like it was funny---unaffected. She just kept asking if she could go, as if she was bored. The talk ended with Grace promising to tell this girl when she is uncomfortable and the girl promising to not make her do anything which she is uncomfortable with. I am not optimistic with her end of the bargain. I am NOT a happy mommy, and DH and I have decided that *if* this relationship continues, she will come over here with a parent supervising.
Am I being too over-blown?
Forte

4 comments:

sarah said...

I would not allow my child to play with this little girl without being present myself at all times. I can sympathize with you, Kitty has a friend who is exactly like this and her behavior shocks me. I listen to the way she talks to her mother and am aghast. I definitely do not like the way she treats Kitty. But so far I've noticed Kitty is learning to stand up more for herself, so that is good. I won't let them play unsupervised though.

The fact this little girl is living next to you must make the situation even more complicated. You don't want to get into unpleasantness with the parents. I feel for you. :-(

Forte said...

You are so right! I do NOT want to get into unpleasantness with the parents! The father is the head of a department here. Talk about not wanting to rock any boats:( I *will* have talks with both girls though! ;)
Forte

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

I would supervise them.

Cher Mere said...

the girl sounds pretty bad. I do not think you are overblown. I can only hope it gets better but in my experience I wouldn't hold my breath.