Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Classy Classes!

We've had an interesting start to the week! Grace has had two Science classes on Monday, back to back, and another on Invertebrates/Vertebrates today. The classes on Monday were at an old standby location and with the coolest teacher we've seen in a while! The first class was on structures and they built things, and the second was on flight. They made their own gliders at the end and went outside to shoot them into the air! It was so interesting to watch all of those gliders dip, swirl, roll and crash. Fun as can be!

Grace really enjoyed her class today. I was afraid at first that she might be too upset that her friends were in another class on Life Cycles, but she weathered it well. I heard her hopefully ask her Friends if they would be in the same class and she looked a bit crestfallen when they said they would not. She sucked it up and went to the other class, as the coordinator had urged us, and she did fantastic! I was very surprised when the instructor caught us in the hallway of the main building and praised Grace's "extensive knowledge" on the subject matter. Huh? I know she knows the definitions of the two words and some examples, but I didn't know she had any other "knowledge". Then the instructor asked her age and I replied. She nodded approvingly and stated that she did *extremely* well and she was surprised she's *that* young. Hmph. I thanked her for a lovely class for the kids and Grace and I moved on to look at the gift shop. And I was worried that she'd be sad in the older group.

She then played with her buddies and they all ate Mulberries from the glorious tree that was on the grounds!! I was VERY surprised that Grace knew the berries and she told me on the way home that she'd seen/eaten from a Mulberry tree in Illinois--two years ago. I reprimanded her gently that she still needed to show the tree to me first, before eating. She agreed heartily. She also said that she thought her class today was too easy ?!? I was stunned. I asked her why, and she said that they didn't even really get into the 8 classes of invertebrates and the 5 classes of vertebrates. She actually wanted to get into the nuts and bolts of it. I didn't know there were so many classes;) Hmph, again.

Forte

4 comments:

Garden State Kate said...

That sounds like a really great day.
I am glad Grace didn't miss her friends too much.

Anonymous said...

So are these classes through a school or university? I also wanted to add that the picture on your page is BEAUTIFUL.

Forte said...

These classes are with our homeschool group. One set was through "Mad Science", which is more "fun" that science, but one gets out of it what one can. The other class was at a local Nature center that provides Science field trips to schools, camps, organizations etc. This class was aimed at roughly 6th graders.

I like how the picute turned out too!! Thanks!!
Forte

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

That's great. You have a lot of interesting things going on there.